Pacific Grove Unified School District (PGUSD) has implemented an Integrated Pest Management Plan (IPM)to maintaining safe and healthy environments for all our facilities. IPM is a process used to solve pest problems while minimizing risks to students, staff, and the environment. Rather than eliminating with harmful pesticides, IPM focuses on eliminating conditions that are favorable for pests to thrive. The primary focus is prevention. Pesticides are only used when absolutely necessary or when non-chemical measures are unsuccessful.
In compliance with the Healthy Schools Act of 2000, PGUSD has implemented the following procedures:
- IPM Plan: Develop and post an IPM plan for parents and employees to review.
- Annual Notification: Notify parents and employees about which non-exempt pesticides the district will use if non-chemical measures are unsuccessful.
- Registration: Provide parents and employees the option to register with the district for advance notification. Notification will be sent to registered individuals 72 hours in advance of all non-emergency pesticide applications.
- Postings: Post warning signs at the specific site 24 hours in advance and 72 hours after pesticide application.
- Records: For four years, each site maintains pesticide application records. Records are available to the public upon request.